Tuesday 27 December 2022

The Guitar Diaries Part 19: Ibanez M340BS Acoustic (March 2021 - Present)

 On 3rd November 2020 my much loved Uncle Antony sadly passed away. I inherited his acoustic guitar just over a year later.

This might actually be the first guitar I ever got my hands on - I have a vague memory of being about 6 or 7 years old and being around at my Aunt and Uncle's house in Leek and this being in the lounge. I remember plucking the strings above the nut and the sound they made, but at that age it would have just been too big for me to attempt to play properly.

Years later I remember staying over at my Aunt and Uncle's when they'd moved to Cheddleton. I was probably about 14, so before I started playing guitar - but he'd made a cover to put over the nut to raise the strings and begun playing slide. Indeed, this nut was still on it when I came into possession of the guitar.

While Ant could play the guitar and no doubt enjoyed doing so on the occasions he did, I don't remember it being a big part of his life (at least not in the obsessive way it's part of mine) so I don't think he played it much, and when I was given the guitar it clearly hadn't been played for years and I think had been hung on the back of the door to his study.

I gave it a clean up, removed the raised nut which fortunately still had the original beneath and replaced the strings. The guitar still played really well and had a quality feel. It was made in Japan in 1980 and my aunt had given it to my uncle for Christmas either that year or 1981. I'm not a great aficionado of acoustic guitars but I really enjoy this one - it sounds and feels great and the sentimental attachment means I will never sell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment